Skip to main content

Different Worlds

It just occurred to me, that despite sharing the exact same experiences, two people may perceive and change differently.

I always thought that naturally, my being away overseas, having the opportunity to see and experience things and meet people that my peers who stayed home couldn't, they and I would have changed world views.

Being in school, uniformity is demanded, and there's not much difference from how one person sees things from another, or at least, even if there were any difference, you can sort of understand why you think differently from your peers.

Being away, I have no idea what these people go through, and I always ended up with the conclusion that "they and I are of different worlds now, I had the opportunity to see things and meet people that they couldn't. They couldn't understand because they didn't have that chance, but if they did, they would have, might have felt the same."

Bu then I look at my peers who goes through about the same experience as I do, being overseas, and I realized that what I concluded was not exactly right, because even people who do share the same experiences with me, can also perceive things differently and change so differently from me that in our own little bubble we become of different worlds.

I don't know why as I grow older, with more passing time, with more alienation, I begin to see more common ground with people considered so foreign to my own people, yet with my own people, I begin to see a much bigger divide and alienation. There is a discord, a dissonance between my idea of an identity and their idea of identity.

It's not that I cannot tolerate differences, but sometimes, some differences cannot meet halfway.

Comments

InMine said…
the concept of multiple realities. There is only one truth but there exist multiple realities based on the different paradigms hold by different people.

Popular posts from this blog

My Fair Lady

This is an old issue, I know. What has brought my attention to the topic of women rights was when I watched one of the episodes of Commander In Chief on Hallmark. In that series, the president of the United States was supposedly a woman. Interesting, and she plans to take the stand for women rights to the next level despite the controversies arousing her brave statement. The debate was whether or not it was relevant to debate on an old issue, in respect of the state of today's society. Women of today have a better status than they did way back in the days of history old. Women emancipation has been heatedly debated especially in the West throughout the time, and perhaps, the most memorable one was of the Suffragettes, fighting for the right of women to vote. Some places in Africa, in history, do not even recognize rape of women, as a crime, however, all of that has changed, thankfully. The question now is, are women actually 'emancipated' as we are all made to belief? well,...

My Blog Looks So GAYY Now

I love blogger's new toy: the template designer thannggg.. love the jelly beans!   I changed my blog name to Gambar Gajah (ARAHAN: sila teliti gambar rajah gajah di bawah dan jawab soalan-soalan berikutnya ) , just a random thought, and it's a funny name, but don't expect me to post pictures of elephants .   okay, just to commemorate the change of name, nah ..here's one snagged from the internet..     Gambar Rajah Gajah 1.1  Berapa kali blog ini sudah bertukar nama? _________________________________ (5 m) 2. Berapakah umur blog ini? __________________________________(5 m) Jumlah: __ / 10 m hahahaha, lawak..lawak..macam tak ada kerja je aku ni Alhamdulillah, Allah Maha Kuasa Keputusan Rayuan JPA PILN: Engineering, Canada International Canadian Pre-University (ICPU) 1 Tahun at Taylor's College, Subang Jaya

Things I Have To Come To Terms With

Just like the fact that every living thing will die and man propose, God dispose, here are a few more things: From Teacher Nazlin's facebook status: Truth is, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones that are worth suffering for. Not everything goes 100% according to plan. That is why we can only hope for the best, yet we still prepare ourselves for the worst. Embracing the fact that there is a possibility of something that might go wrong, keeps us on our feet just in case anything bad happens. So, okay, it didn't go according to plan, act on Plan B. Don't destroy yourself. Sometimes we forget and take things forgranted, and it takes a MAJOR crisis to give us a wake up call to how shitty our attitude has been lately. Other people have feelings too. Too much critiscism in one go is not constructive. Being mature is about choosing your battles. Acting, talking and deciding appropriately and rationally, and not overruled by emotions. At certain tim...