Skip to main content

Drive

Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there
with open arms and open eyes, yeah
I'll be there

-Incubus-

Yes!!!
I finally finished the final instalment of Harry Potter! this is my review, but I must warn you that it does contain spoilers.
Overall, a better plot build-up compared to the fifth book (that was, in my opinion, the most 'kureng' of the seven-I dare not say more than that, as a proper adjective would be too treacherous to Potter readers alike, such as myself). The body count is high, but the deceased all died for Harry. (Hedwig didn't desearve to die!!)
After my conversion to pro-Snape, I guess that it was unfair for him to sacrifice hmself on Potter's behalf after all that his dad and he, himself has done to him.
Sadly, unlike the sixth book which showcases Voldemort's (I dare!) ingenuity and his rise as a powerful and very much demented Dark Lord , the seventh book depicts Voldemort as a typical villain who is ignorant and careless.
Ron, although a 'traitor' at first, amended his mistake and emerged couragous in times of combat. No comments on Hermione, though, but she did a lot of screaming and whimpering and sobbing. the smartest witch reduced to tears. She didn't quite put up a fight as the other witches would. Oh yeah, it also includes a cat fight between Bellatrix Lestrange and Mrs. Weasly.
To me, the final instalment is just trying to prove that Dumbledore's not the old nut that I thought he was and that he knew what he was doing all along and had outwitted Voldemort with premeditated strategies. oh well, the old man got his last laugh at last. It's kind of interesting though, that almost all brilliant wizards sought for trimph over death. A repeated theme throughout the whole series.
Horcruxes, Hallows, Death Eaters, Mosmorde (take a bite out of death)...all ring a bell to you?
The ending is a happy one, I guess J.K. could have had a change of plans since many of the Potter fans have guessed that the oh-so-noble Harry should die in the end for the greater good. One thing, though, it was disappointing that Harry had the upper hand in defeating Voldemort simply because of sheer luck that he figured out Dumbledore's plan in the nick of time and of his noble wizarding lineage, not out of skill or combat tactics. As people say, blame it on the genes.. if poor Voldemart wanted to defeat him, he'd have to find himself a different ancestor other than the dysfunctional Gaunts.
Overall, it's a lot more fast-paced compared to the fifth book, but it till does not match up to the fourth book that i so much liked. On the good side, it's not to say that it is a bad read through and through. A modest ending to the biggest wizarding saga I should say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spider-man

Firstly, I should make my biases clear, but I'm pretty sure it's obvious. I've seen the Sam Raimi trilogy and of course, I will be comparing it to the reboot. After all, the reboot came a little bit too soon after the trilogy. Most of what follows will probably just be my personal preferences and gripes. Warning, spoilers abound. 1. Peter Parker I liked the doe-eyed Tobey Maguire more as the day-to-day Peter Parker. He's the nerdy, unsure of himself, normal guy. Andrew Garfield's cheeky boyish look doesn't make me buy the Peter Parker-ness. Andrew Garfield looks like he belongs to some teen series. 2. Mary Jane versus Gwen Stacy I hated Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane. She's completely helpless like the traditional damsel in distress and sometimes her whining about her relationship with Peter Parker, seems, idk, petty, and sometimes she seems to not understand his predicament of being Spider-man and not being able to be there for her all th

Memori Keropok Lekor

Setiap kali ada school trip ke SBP pantai timur di Pahang atau Terengganu (seingatnya, pernah mengunjungi SESTER-Perfect Score Zon Timur 2009, SBPI B. Rakit-HKSBP Zon timur 2008 kot? SHAH Pekan- HKSBP Zon Timur 2006, SESMA-bermalam untuk Sambutan Hari Guru Kebangsaan. Eh, who knows where the headgirl of SESMA 2009 is right now? and....tu setakat yang ingatlah tentang sekolah yang dikunjungi), kalau berkesempatan lalu Batu Buruk, mesti singgah beli keropok lekor. Best gila. Sekali beli mesti habis dalam RM 50, sebab beli untuk cikgu, untuk kelas, untuk ahli dorm. Sesampainya di kelas, keropok lekor akan dibahagikan untuk bahagian budak-budak (budak-budak?) laki and budak-budak perempuan. Di bahagian depan kelas, budak-budak laki dalam sekelip mata sahaja menghabiskan keropok. Budak-budak perempuan pula makan di meja belakang (selalunya meja akulah tu. Nampak sangat muka kuat "jjella", huhu). Kita makan 'cover-cover', konon ayulah kot. And then, berduyun-duyun pergi

okayy..berlambak post bulan ni

I've started packing for college! I have one big bag of clothes. Itu pun ada lagi yang belum cukup. I took out some. Well, I didn't know what to bring, I just put everything I felt like wearing, shortsleeved shirts, long-sleeved t-shirts, blouses, jeans, slacks, tracksuits, I even brought two pairs of my nenek's kurung, because I haven't worn them yet. My tudungs of various colors, brooches. Hangars and clothes pegs. washing stuff, I'm missing a berus and baldi . and cadar . Toiletries. Another smaller bag of stationary, my mum's General Chemistry (God, I hate the typewriter font) and Calculus books (which of course, I tried reading, but I don't really get it), TOEFL textbook, just in case I decide to take it on my own, see how it goes with this ICPU thing first. I also brought my Form 5 Physics and Chemistry notes. I have yet to buy log books which  plan to use during lectures, they're a lot easier to manage compared to lose sheets of paper. you k